YR Media is looking for a part-time producer/editor to create coverage and elevate stories about technology as a shaping force in the lives of teens and young adults. We have a special focus on innovations in artificial intelligence, explored through an equity lens. Recent projects include Erase Your Face (in partnership with Stanford d-school) and Jay-Z Beefs With A.I.: Are Other Artists Next (which also aired on NPR). From our archives: Can You Teach A.I. to Dance.
We’re looking for someone who is passionate about bringing in a variety of stories from diverse perspectives, produced with content creators with varying levels of experience. The ideal candidate is equally invested in tracking the latest emerging technology and its cultural implications as they are in mentoring reporters and producers who are underrepresented in both tech and journalism fields. You’ll support young people in creating content from concept through drafts, publication, and engagement; lead investigations into bias and accountability related to A.I.; report on creative and promising applications of A.I.; recruit new voices into our national network of young adult correspondents; and produce your own tech stories.
You should be skilled in using social media, creating compelling social copy, and knowledgeable about SEO. We’re looking for someone who can connect with organizations and platforms in order to build an audience. You will join YR Media’s Interactive team: the first and, as far as we know, only youth-driven coding program embedded in an award-winning national newsroom. Colleagues on the team include wildly creative and skilled developers, designers and reporters.
This is a Part Time position working up to 20hr/week and reporting to the Interactive Manager and Lead Developer.
● Perform editing duties, including working with content creators to finesse copy, making sure the assignment is covered completely, accurately and in depth
● Write headlines and subheads, edit and add photos, audio and video, copyediting, publish and fact-check content
● Keep pace with developments in artificial intelligence and machine learning, spotting trends and understanding what stories to follow
● Write tech stories and round-ups for YR Media and partner sites
● Recruit new contributors into YR Media’s national network, prioritizing under-represented voices, teens and young adults
● Correspond in a timely manner with youth contributors to maintain deadlines and produce stories that are relevant to current trends
● Edit and in some cases produce social copy and assets for Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook platforms
Knowledge/ Experience Required:
● Five years journalism experience, emphasis on tech reporting
● Demonstrated experience working with emerging/entry-level journalists ● Proven track record covering technology’s implications for justice, relationships, education and the economy
● Invested in producing tech stories with candor, nuance, empathy and thoughtfulness about digital afterlife
● Investigative reporting skills
● Strong correspondence skills for booking, sourcing, and coordinating interviews and following up with contributors
● Ability to manage multiple priorities while committing to producing a high quality product ● Track record of achieving significant audience engagement with strong media content
Classification: Non Exempt
Hours: up to 20hrs/week
Location: Currently remote
How to Apply: Applicants should email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include Tech Producer/ Editor in the subject of your email. Only those being considered will be contacted. No phone calls please.
About YR Media:
YR Media, formerly Youth Radio, is an award-winning national network of diverse young journalists and artists from underrepresented communities who create content for this generation. Headquartered in downtown Oakland, California, our non-profit has spent 25 years helping future generations build crucial skills in journalism, arts and media. We produce journalism, music, graphic design, podcasts and documentaries that disrupt and shape the mainstream narrative. Current and recent university partners in tech include MIT, University of Washington and Stanford D-School. In addition to our own dynamic platforms, our content runs on sites including NPR, WNYC, KQED and Pop Sugar.
YR Media is an equal opportunity employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, disability (mental or physical), gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, pregnancy, race, religion or creed, sex,sexual orientation, or any other factor that is not related to the job